First Year Representative Manifestos 2014/15




Click on the this link to vote

MANIFESTOS
--------------------------------


Manifesto by Lai Ling Ling

Hello,
This is Lai Ling Ling and I'd like to run for the position of BruKent's First Year Representative 2014-2015.
As a first-year representative, I will aim to not just be the link between the seniors and the freshers, but also to foster a strong and binding relationship with all the Bruneians in BOTH Canterbury AND Medway, regardless of gender, age, race, religion, personality, course, grades, budgeting constraints, sleep schedule, stress levels, love for ayam penyet and so on and so forth. It seems like a lofty ambition but I am confident that with the right kind of person (Me!), we Bruneians can stand together and present a united front.
So why pick me?

Because I am a leader.
But saying it like that is a little perasan, so I will back it up with relevant facts.

I was a member of the Maktab Sains Paduka Seri Begawan Sultan Student Council. However, I was not JUST a member, I was also elected as the Head of Academic Bureau by my peers. Because of this, I have extensive knowledge in preparing proposals for events, organising fore-mentioned events and hosting said events. In addition, part of my duties had included academic counselling for troubled students, being entrusted in the strictest of confidence with raw data concerning academic performance by the school administration and allocating students a personal tutor at my own discretion (Muahaha! So much power!). What this means is that you can always confide in me and I will try my best to help you, PLUS I will keep everything a secret. In addition, even after I retired, the school liked me so much, they decided to send me on a student exchange programme to Kuala Lumpur. The shopping was great.
I am a member of Toastmasters International, a club that is renowned in the world for setting the standards for public speaking. In the club, I have held my own against adults that are professionals in their respectivefields-finance, insurance, construction, development, education, administration, economics, law, training, management and etcetera. At the peak of my abilities, I placed second in the Club Humorous Contest against the former Humorous Runner-up of Brunei, West Malaysia and Indonesia. I have also received a medal commemorating outstanding achievement made in District 87, being the second person ever to be awarded this medal. I have been mentored by the President of the Brunei Speakers Club. I have been trained by a finalist in the World Championship of Public Speaking 2014. And I am the mentor to Rano Iskandar, also known as THE Rano Adidas. Check his Instagram. I am there.

I was also appointed the Public Relations Officer in the Gavel Club, in which I was one of the original members. My responsibilities entailed handling networking and marketing of the club. My contributions to the Gavel Club made such an impact that it led to the installation of the Youth Leadership Programme, of which I am a Founding member. The Youth Leadership Program consists of some 60 talented youths from 17 different schools in Brunei, furthest of which is in Belait. After my tenure, I was still frequently invited as a guest motivational speaker on self-improvement. Should I be elected as your First-Year Representative, I will definitely do my utmost best to effectively propagate the club and make sure the whole of Kent know where Brunei is.
There was also a stint (5 years!) in the Maktab Sains choir, meaning I can sing the national anthem and about 8 patriotic songs in harmony, which is always good for a little cultural publicity.

If you've met me, you know that I'm a little weird, a little crazy and a little loud. But you also know that I'm friendly, approachable and have a great sense of humour (-ish). Now that you've read my manisfesto (I hope you did. It took me a ridiculously large amount of effort to write this. I feel like I have no kemaluan now.), you are also equipped with the knowledge that I am capable. I have experience. And I have been successful. If you allow it, WE can be successful together.

So, vote for Ling Ling.

I am the better choice.

--------------------------
Manifesto by Zanna Rudian


Bismillah.

Assalamualaikum and warm greetings to the committee and my fellow peers.

My name is Zanna. I am a first year Law student and I am running for this year’s First Year Rep position.

I believe in the society’s main agenda, which is to make everyone feel right at home. Regardless of the distance and the different time zones, the BruKent Society is there to remind us that there is a piece of Brunei… Right here in Kent.

The society has eased the transition for me by a whole lot and I wish to do the same for others. (Guys, they gave us plates. My housemates and I probably would have lived off plastic plates if it weren’t for them. Haha) The least I could give back is by being a voice for the first years.

On a serious note, a First Year Rep will have to listen to the thoughts and opinions of the first year students and pass them on to the committee to allow the committee to have a better understanding of what the first years need.

I am confident that I am capable of holding this position.

I have been an active member of the Brunei Darussalam AIDS Council since 2013. Within the past year, I have volunteered to facilitate 2 life skills training and 1 leadership course. Each of these activities (Or “bootcamp”, if you’d like) reaches out to over 40 youths, to empower them in a meaningful learning. This means that within the past year, I have worked with 3 different committees to ensure that the activities went smoothly.

Working amongst 20 others in each committee taught me that effective integrated working is underpinned by effective communication. (Woah, big words!) It was also imperative to be disciplined, as we were responsible of our own and the participants' safety and comfort. I feel that I could relate this to the responsibility of the committee towards the Bruneian students in Kent, particularly the first years.

Aside from that, having studied in a Chinese school from my kindergarten days up to my O Levels, I have learnt to speak English, Malay and Mandarin fluently. Additionally, coming from a multi-cultural background, I believe I have the advantage of being able to communicate better with everyone as I am familiar with the diversity amongst Bruneians.

One of the reasons why I am studying Law is because it is all about ensuring equality, fairness and justice within a society. It’s about making sure that everyone is presented equal opportunities. That is why I believe that I am the best person for this position. I care about your opinion, your voice. Vote for me. Thank you.

---------------------

Manifesto by Azim Safwan


Hello, my name is Azim. Currently, I am studying BA (Hons) Politics and International Relations. Hence, I have an interest in running for the first reps because this is a great opportunity for me to step forward and possibly becoming a leader, at the same time this will become a platform for myself to learn and experience leadership.


As a candidate for the first reps, my main objective is to come up with many new ideas as I possibly can and make sure that our year is running smoothly. And of course, along the way, it’s one of my duties to also ensure that most of you feel comfortable and safe. As an overseas student, there is no doubt that there will be challenges that we will face and hardships that will be difficult to endure during our stay – might be from our studies, social life and so on. With that, you can always bring any of your concerns or struggles that you might have, because I am willing to listen and lend a helping hand. And the committee of Bru-Kent themselves are very considerate of others and they have been through ups and down, so I will be working closely with them.

I will do my best to provide high-level of assistance to the president, committee and the members – primarily the first year students. And also help to strengthen our bond. And hopefully, within Bru-Kent society, all of us can establish good relationship with each other.

Coming forward with the distinctive qualities that I have, the most conspicuous ones would probably be of my punctuality, my commitment and my positive attitude. And I believe that with these qualities, it will be beneficial towards the whole group. My biggest aims are to unite the people within this society, maintain our characteristics as a ‘Bruneian’ and ensure that your valued membership of this society is rewarding and enjoyable.

Sincerely,


(Azim Safwan – candidate of BruKent’s 2014 First Rep)

---------------------------------

Manifesto by Iffah Nabilah Muzri
 

Dear All,

My name is Iffah and I’m now running to be the first year representative of 2014/15. I’m currently doing a BA in Politics and International Relations. A little on myself would be I like to perform (acting, dancing, you name it!), I’m learning how to speak French and Japanese and I’m terrible at riding a bicycle.

Well, I don’t really have much to offer to you all, besides my years of experience of taking care of people. I’ve been doing that for as long as I can remember (being the oldest sister in the family and all). So, in turn, I can take care of you all. I want to let you all know that I am someone approachable and that you can come to me whenever you want, if you ever feel lonely or homesick. Or even if you need a friend, I’ll be there for you. Vice versa, I will also make an effort to meet up with you all once a while.

In terms of experience and skills, I’ve been in positions of leadership for the past 6 years; Monitor every year since 2008, President of Drama Society, Vice President of Debate Society, etc. I was once even awarded as Student of the Year for ECA! I have experience in public speaking, although I still tend to find that intimidating sometimes and you’ll find my knees shaking, but otherwise nothing a little false bravado can’t fix. I gained some research skills from my part time job as research assistant and survey administrator as well.

However, there is one thing that I can give you all with my utmost confidence.

My voice.

I will lend you all my voice. Whether any of the first years have any enquiries or comments or advice even, I will be your voice on the committee and bring up what you have to say. And likewise, I would be the voice on behalf of the committee to reach out to the first years. So, I offer up myself to you all, to be your liaison officer. I will play my role to bridge the gap between the first years and seniors and committee members.

BruKent Society is one big family and it makes us feel at home in this foreign environment. I feel lucky to be apart of this. I’d like to end with a quote that I’m sure you all know, and sums up how I feel.

“Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.” -(Lilo and Stitch, 2002).

Much Love,

Iffah.


2 comments :

  1. Hello!

    Do you seek funds to pay off credits and debts in 2017? Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don’t know which way to go or where to turn? What about finding a reputable Debt Consolidation firm that can assist you in reducing monthly installment so that you will have affordable repayment options as well as room to breathe when it comes to the end of the month and bills need to get paid? Navaro Loan Company is the answer. Email (Navaroloancompany@yahoo.com)

    We offer the following types of loans

    *Debt Consolidation Loans
    *Business Loans
    *Personal Loans
    *Home Loans
    *Car Finance
    *Commercial Loans
    *Investments Loans
    *E.T.C

    Note: We give you loan with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 40 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecure) in 2017. Do not keep your financial problems to yourself in order for you not to be debt master or financial stress up, which is why you must contact us quickly for a solution to your financial problems. It will be a great joy to us when you are financially stable. Email {Navaroloancompany@yahoo.com}


    ReplyDelete
  2. We are direct mandate to Certified Financial Instrument providers in United Kingdom. Our providers engage in Lease and Purchase of Bank Guarantee {BG}, Standby Letter of Credit {SBLC}, Medium Term Notes {MTN}, Loans and financial instruments issued from AAA Rated banks mainly HSBC London, Deutsche Bank AG Frankfurt and Barclays Bank. Our providers are very reliable, Ready, Willing and able to complete BG/SBLC between 10M-5B EURO/USD

    We will be glad to share our working procedures with you upon request to proceed towards establishing a successful business relationship. Feel free to contact below

    Email: heywoodfinanceltd@gmail.com
    Skype: heywoodfinanceltd

    Leasing Price: 4%+1%
    Buying Price: 32%+2%
    Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved.

    Regards,
    Henry Neville Moser
    HEYWOOD FINANCE LTD

    ReplyDelete